Saturday, June 5, 2010

Controversial Video from Autism Speak

This is a very controversial video from "Autism Speaks". I'M BY NO MEANS ADVOCATING THIS VIDEO. I'm not sure how I feel about it.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDdcDlQVYtM]

I guess I have mixed feelings. On one hand I think it makes a good point making autism out to be a predator of our kids. Because the truth is it acts that way. Some people effected by autism are very high functioning and successful. I hope that this video was focusing on those without a voice of their own. I don't think that they made demons out of autistic kids if you really listen. I think the narrator is supposed to be autism talking about what he has done, is doing or will do to our kids. The fact is that even the strongest marriage will be tested under the stress of living with autism. A good portion will fail but not all. This is similar to any chronic disorder in a family unit.

On the other hand I think they used the videos in the first half of the video poorly. People could very easily infer that the voice is referring to the kids in the video as autism. I don't think that was their intent but it appears to have had that effect on many people. I think this was meant to have shock value and I think they came across wrong. I can see how some people see this as exploiting the people living with autism.

The fact is that we are all fighting for the same thing. We want to give them the best chance at life we can.  With autism involved it can be next to impossible. If nothing else this video got people talking. We need that.

I'm very curious to see what you guys think of this video. Please let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment