Thursday, June 10, 2010

Autism and Discipline: How do you manage?

Disciplining your kids can be tough for parents sometimes. But what if your child has Autism? Navigating the world of Autism is like trying to put one of those generic puzzles with no picture together. You are often times flying blind. I can't tell you how many times I have felt lost and defeated.

In our case with Gavin, he is a quagmire wrapped inside an enigma. He has so many other mental health issues that it really makes things difficult. How do you hold him accountable? What are the standards and are they set to high or to low? What is he actually capable of doing? These are all questions my wife and I have asked for years. Just when we think we have it figured out we realize things like, he has been playing us.

One thing about Gavin is he's truly gifted in the art of manipulation. I really mean that. He's that good. Unless we always assume he's playing us it's all but impossible to tell the difference. I bet so many of you out there know what I talking about. Should we always assume he's up to something because that feels wrong? How far is to far to push when there are no clearly defined limits?

I long for the day I go to the mail box and find the instruction manual for Gavin has finally arrived.

LT

No comments:

Post a Comment